Red Velvet Hershey’s Kiss Cookies
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color, gel type
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 bag (10 oz) Hershey’s kisses
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and mix until completely incorporated. Add remaining egg, salt, and red food color. Mix until fluffy. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and baking powder and add in one step to above. Mix until just combined.
- Dough is easiest to work with when chilled for 30 minutes in freezer or refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scoop into 2-teaspoon amounts and roll into a ball. Roll dough balls into powdered sugar.
- Place on parchment lined, buttered cookie sheets or silicone baking mat about 3/4 inch apart as cookies will spread in oven.
- Place in oven. To obtain a soft cookie, bake 9-10 minutes, and for a slightly firmer cookie, bake 10-11 minutes.
- Once cookies are lukewarm, top each with a chocolate kiss. Make certain that cookies are not warmer than lukewarm or kisses will melt. If applied when lukewarm, bottom of kisses will melt just a tiny bit and will properly stick to cookies.
These were so easy to make and so delicious! Perfect red velvet flavor. The gel food coloring worked perfectly to make these a festive red color--would definitely recommend!