Red Velvet Macarons
Red Velvet Macarons
Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside. In a medium bowl sift together powered almond meal, powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites at medium-low speed. Once the egg whites begin to foam, slowly sprinkle in granulated sugar. Slowly increase speed to medium-high and beat until a firm meringue forms. Once you have stiff, glossy peaks, beat in the red food coloring.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients into meringue, until combined. You will have to break meringue to do this, but do not over stir. Fold dry ingredients into meringue until just combined. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag with a plain round tip.
- Pipe 1 inch rounds onto prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch between macarons to allow batter to spread. Once all macarons have been piped, pick up baking sheet with both hands and tap it firmly on counter several times. This will remove any air bubbles.
- Let macarons sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on humidity levels. The macarons are ready to bake when tops are no longer sticky to touch.
- Once macarons are dry to the touch, preheat oven to 285°F; once up to temperature, bake both trays at same time for 16-18 minutes, rotating trays once. Let macarons cool completely on parchment paper or silpat liner before removing.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter together in bowl of a stand mixer. Add vanilla extract, mixing until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Pipe filling onto a cooled macaron shell and sandwich together with a second shell. Repeat until all shells are used. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for 24 hours before eating. (They are best next day.) Let warm to room temperature before serving.