Red Velvet Thumbprints
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar, for rolling
White Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment mix butter and sugar together for 2 minutes.
- Add in egg, vanilla, food coloring, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix for 1 minute until combined and smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour. Mix until just combined.
- Place 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a small bowl. Form the dough into 1- inch balls, roll into the sugar, and place on your prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart. Using back of a spoon, press an indent into cookie. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, mix butter and powdered sugar until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add in melted white chocolate and mix until creamy. Add in heavy cream and mix for an additional 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Place frosting in a piping bag or a zip-top bag with corner cut off. Pipe a teaspoon of frosting into indent in each cookie. Alternately, you can spread frosting with a spoon into indent.
- Can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.