Red White and Blue Bundting Cake
- ½ cup sliced maraschino cherries, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole blueberries
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Arrange the cherry slices in the small channels along the bottom of the pan. Place the blueberries in a single layer in the larger sections of the pan. Set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix salt with flour and add to mixture.
- Mix the baking soda with the sour cream and add to batter. Stir in almond extract.
- Pour batter slowly into prepared fruit-filled pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan at least 15 minutes before turning cake out onto wire rack to cool.
I started making this for a party. I had all my ingredients lined up. When I got to step 6 it said "mix salt with flour". There was no salt in the ingredients list. I checked Betty Crocker for a sour cream pound cake. That recipe used 1/4 tsp salt, so that's what I used. The cake turned out fine. It was delicious, and almost overflowed my bundt pan.