Reduced Fat Creamy Lemon Cheesecake
- 1 cup reduced fat graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) 1/3 less fat Neufchâtel cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Zest of 2 large lemons (no white bitter pith)
- 1 1/4 cups non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liquor (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust: Crush enough graham crackers with a rolling pin to obtain 1 cup. Add melted butter and sugar and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter spring form pan and place in oven for 10 minutes or golden. Reduce oven to 325°F.
- When springform pan is cool enough to handle, place on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan with foil. Ensure that no water could penetrate through foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- This cheesecake can easily be made without use of a machine, just ensure that cheese is soft and at room temperature. If using a mixer only mix on lowest speed to prevent incorporation of air cells. (Air cells make cheesecake rise during baking and once removed from oven will make it fall.)
- To make cheesecake: Beat soft cream cheese and sugar on low speed until well blended and no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added amount to be fully incorporated, scrape bowl and beater in between additions. Add egg whites and mix until well combined.
- Add lemon zest, Greek yogurt and Grand Marnier. Pour batter into springform pan.
- Pour approximately 1 inch of water into roasting pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cheesecake no longer trembles when tapping sides of pan, about 2 hours.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 - 60 minutes. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake and cut into desired size.
- Garnish with sliced lemons and whipped cream, if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Do not replace Greek yogurt with other non-fat yogurt.