Reganadas - Day of the Dead Cookies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a bowl cream shortening until light and creamy.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually mix flour mixture to creamed shortening.
- In a bowl beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Fold in egg yolk and brown sugar.
- Add egg mixture to batter, continue mixing until combined and smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Divide dough into 2 sections, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/3-inch thick.
- Using 1-inch round cookie cutter, cut out shapes of dough.
- Place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool a few minutes on baking sheet, while still warm roll cookies in cinnamon sugar mixture.