- 2 cups almond flour* (health food section grocery store)
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place almond flour in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients. After measuring powdered sugar sift it and add to almond flour along with orange zest, cornstarch and baking powder and stir to combine.
- Whip egg whites in a separate bowl to firm peaks. Add to dry ingredients along with the salt and almond extract and fold using a spatula. The mixture will become heavy and firm. (This is not a light and airy meringue style composition.)
- On a plastic food wrap lined baking sheet spread or press the mixture into a 5 inch x 12 inch (13 cm x 30 cm) rectangular piece. Use powdered sugar to prevent sticking.
- Freeze one hour or overnight. Cut the frozen dough lengthwise into 5 equal size strips using a sharp knife. Cut the strips into a 45 degree angle to obtain diamonds. Dip the surface of the diamonds in powdered sugar and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Part of the dough can be frozen for later bake off.
- Bake at 350°F until pale golden, about 17 minutes. Move to wire rack to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container.