Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potato
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup very coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. If using cast iron cookware (skillets or baking pan) place in oven while preheating.
- Wash, peel, and dice sweet potato into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Place into mixing bowl.
- Slice apples in half, remove seeds, and dice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. (Note: do not peel apples.) Add to mixing bowl.
- Add pecans and vegetable oil to mixing bowl and stir to coat sweet potato, apple and pecan mixture with oil.
- When oven has reached 425°F pour sweet potato mixture into 13" X 15" baking dish in a single layer and place in oven. After 15 minutes (10 minutes for preheated cast iron) remove from oven and stir mixture, again leaving a single layer.
- Sweet potatoes and apples will be starting to brown and pecans will be starting to toast. Return pan to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Roasting is complete when a paring knife can be easily inserted into a sweet potato cube. Sweet potatoes and apples will be partially browned and pecans will be dark brown. Return sweet potato mixture to mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and salt and gently stir to until butter and sugar are melted, coating sweet potato-apple mixture.