Rocky Road Cupcakes
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups marshmallow cream
- 2 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 6 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until combined and fluffy. Add eggs one at time until combined, scraping bottom and sides of bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine espresso powder, vanilla, and water. Stir until incorporated.
- In three additions, mix in flour mixture on low speed, alternating with espresso water. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl as needed.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until cupcakes bounce back when pressed. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, make frosting. Beat butter until smooth. Add marshmallow cream, sugar, and pinch salt. Beat until smooth on low, then increase speed and beat on medium for 2 minutes. Add up to 1/2 cup more powdered sugar if needed for thicker consistency. Stir in pecans and chopped chocolate.
- Spoon over cooled cupcakes, about 2 tablespoons per cupcake. Refrigerate while making glaze.
- Melt chocolate and oil together in the microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power, stirring after each one. When chips are almost melted, stir until completely smooth.
- Remove cupcakes from refrigerator and spoon glaze over tops. Refrigerate until set. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.