Rum Custard Tart with Gingerbread Crust
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
Rum Custard Filling
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt, vanilla, and all spices.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside an 8- or 9-inch tart or pie pan.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick bottom of tart shell.
- Place in oven, after about 5-7 minutes take a look at the crust. Re-prick bottom if it puffed up. If sides of tart dough slid down, press them back into place to meet rim of tart shell. Bake until golden and sides are shrinking slightly away from pan.
- Remove from oven and brush interior of tart shell with egg white. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until egg white has solidified. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks and eggs. Whisk briefly to break up eggs.
- Add both sugars and immediately whisk vigorously until well blended.
- Add cream, vanilla, rum, and salt. If a lot of foam has developed, wait to go to next step or place a paper towel on surface to soak up foam.
- Place tart shell on bottom shelf in oven. While in oven, pour filling into tart shell. In case if you have a small amount left, pour it in a ramekin and bake it separately.
- Remove from oven when center of tart filling no longer trembles, about 45-50 minutes.
- Once cooled decorate with powdered sugar. We used a paper doily placed over the tart prior to dusting. Carefully remove doily to preserve pattern.