Salted Caramel Banana Bread
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For Caramel Sauce, in a medium saucepan, add granulated sugar, salt, and water. Swirl to cover sugar and salt mixture with water.
- Over medium heat, bring sugar mixture to a simmer. Do not stir. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or until sugar turns an amber color. Pot can be gently swirled once or twice during this process. Be careful not to burn sugar mixture. If using a candy thermometer, cook until 350°F.
- Once sugar mixture is ready, remove from heat and immediately add cold butter and heavy cream. Beware: mixture will bubble violently, but whisk through this, it will subside.
- Once butter and heavy cream are fully incorporated into sugar mixture, set aside and allow to cool.
- For Banana Bread, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix for about 1 minute between each addition. Next, add milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Pour flour mixture into butter/sugar mixture. Using a spatula, mix until batter is almost combined. Add mashed bananas and caramel sauce. Fold together a few more times until no more dry flour remains. Fold in walnuts now if using nuts.
- Immediately pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Place loaf pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Using a butter knife gently run knife around loaf pan. Flip loaf pan onto a serving dish, slice and drizzle with leftover caramel sauce.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments