Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour* (sifted twice)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 18 caramels
- Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup prepared salted caramel sauce
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using mixer, cream butter and sugar together until pale in color and very creamy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Into a large bowl add cake flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Gently whisk together to combine. Add the vanilla extract to the buttermilk. Set aside.
- Alternate the flour mixture with buttermilk (end with flour) and add to butter/sugar mixture. Continue mixing until well combined. Set aside.
- Into a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites with your whisk attachment until stiff. Gently fold into cake mixture.
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners and fill 3/4 of the way up with batter. Push 1 caramel into each cupcake.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- While cooling, prepare Vanilla Frosting.
- Frost and then drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Paula Jones @bellalimento.