Salted Caramel Pecan Tart
- Sweet Tart Dough Crust
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- Caramel Filling
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups pecan pieces or halves
- Fleur de sel or coarse sea salt, as needed
- Optional: Crème Chantilly
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pre-heat oven temperature 375°F.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill the work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside an 8 or 9 inch tart ring or tart pan.
- Sprinkle the chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Place in oven and bake until golden light brown, about 15 minutes. During the baking process the dough should not slide down on the sides. However, if any area does slide down, remove from oven and patch with a piece of remaining dough, return to oven.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients combine sugar, water and honey. Bring to a boil, cover for one minute to trap steam which will aid to slide down any sugar crystals stuck on the sides of the pan. During this cooking stage do not stir or disturb the mixture.
- Remove lid and continue boiling on high heat, however, if you work on a gas stove ensure that no flames go up the sides of the pan. Boil to a deep golden honey colored caramel, meanwhile heat heavy cream in microwave until hot.
- Pour heated heavy cream slowly into caramel, be careful as the steam will be hot. Add butter, first listed salt and vanilla and stir using a wooden or heat resistant spatula, return to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in pecans. Scrape mixture into the prebaked tart shell and place in a cool place. Refrigeration is not required.
- When cooled sprinkle with fleur de sel, and if desired, serve with ice cream or Crème Chantilly.