Shoofly Cookie Cups
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 7/8 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
Shoofly Pie Filling
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon hot brewed coffee or water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside a mini muffin tin with 24 indentions.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough 1/8-inch or slightly thinner. Cut into circles using a round cutter with a diameter of about 2 3/4 inch. Place each circle of dough into place. Making a cup. Make 16-18 cups. Pre-rolled dough can be chilled and rolled again.
- Prick bottom using a fork and place in oven. (Filling with pie weights is not necessary). Check cups after 5 minutes of baking. Chances are that bottoms are puffing up. If so, prick with tip of a paring knife.
- Bake until light golden, about 12-15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine hot water, baking soda, and molasses. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and butter and rub together between fingers until mixture becomes coarse textured streusel. Remove/set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture to be used for sprinkling surface of shoofly cups.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla to molasses mixture. Add main streusel amount and combine well.
- Spoon into prebaked cookie cups and place in oven for 12 minutes. Sprinkle cups with remaining streusel and bake another 7-10 minutes or until shoofly cups have set when center is pressed with a finger.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments