Signature Lemon Squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very cold
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- Zest of 2 fresh lemons, no white bitter pith
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Set aside an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. For flawless removal, line pan with parchment paper which overhangs on all sides. Set aside.
- Place flour in mixing bowl. Grate cold butter on small eyes of box grater directly into flour. Add powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Toss and press with your hands until mixture looks like coarse meal. Set aside 3 tablespoons of dough and press remaining amount firmly onto bottom of pan.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- More than likely, gaps developed between dough and sides of pan. In those gaps, press a tiny amount of reserved dough until properly sealed. This will prevent lemon mixture from seeping underneath crust and turning your work into a fiasco.
- Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl. Add eggs, salt ,and whisk until completely smooth. Sift, add flour, and whisk until well combined.
- Pour into pan and return to oven. Reduce heat to 320°F and bake until center of curd has set, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let completely cool in refrigerator before cutting.
- Cut with a sharp knife and sprinkle generously with Confectioners Powdered sugar.