Slow Cooked Beef Ragu
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (28-oz can) tomato puree
- 1 (28-oz can) crushed tomato
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix together flour, salt, and pepper. Pat beef dry with paper towel. Dredge beef cubes in flour mixture. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides in batches, and transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to pan. Cook until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add wine, scraping up the bits off of the bottom of the pan. Stir in tomatoes, sugar and bay leaves. Add reserved beef and juices. Season with salt and pepper.
- To cook in oven, cover the Dutch oven with a lid and cook for 3 hours in a 300° oven, or until beef shreds easily with a fork.
- To cook in slow cooker, omit flouring beef and add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley and Parmesan cheese.