Soft Pretzel Bites
- Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and browned
- 1 cup warm water (not above 110° F)
- 1 packet dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- coarse or flaked sea salt or pretzel salt, optional
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Chocolate Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla Sugar Glaze Dipping Sauce
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In small saucepan melt butter over medium low heat. Continue cooking (and swirling pan) until butter becomes golden brown. Remove from heat immediately and cool slightly.
- Pour warm water in bowl of stand mixer. Sprinkle yeast into water and allow to “bloom.” This will take 7-9 minutes. Yeast will become slightly foamy.
- While yeast is blooming, whisk together flour, salt and brown sugar. Add flour mixture and melted, cooled butter into bowl with water and yeast, Mix this using the dough hook attachment for 5 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in bowl and cover with a dish towel. Allow dough to rise 2-3 hours at room temperature. Or place in fridge and allow to rise overnight.
- When ready to make the pretzel bites, preheat oven to 450° F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from bowl and punch down. Divide dough into 8 equal portions and roll dough into long ropes, about 1 inch in diameter, approximately 12 inches long.
- Cut the dough into 2 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan bring 8 cups of water and 1/2 cup of baking soda to a boil. In batches of about 10-12 at a time place the dough pieces into boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to baking sheet. For salted pretzels, sprinkle with salt immediately as salt sticks best to wet dough.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels: Dip each piece into butter and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Chocolate Dipping Sauce: In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients and melt together over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
- Vanilla Sugar Glaze Dipping Sauce: Whisk ingredients together. Keep covered to prevent crusting.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- Chocolate Dipping Sauce yields 2 1/2 cups chocolate sauce. Cook time is 10 minutes.
- Vanilla Sugar Glaze Dipping Sauce yields 1 cup.
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.