Sour Cherry Turnovers
- One half package puff pastry (10x15-inch sheets)
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen sour cherries
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, 45-55% cacao mass
- 1 tablespoon oil such as corn, peanut, vegetable
- Defrost puff pastry according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Defrost cherries and retain all juices. Mix one tablespoon of cherry juice with cornstarch and set aside.
- Place cherries and all remaining juice in a sauté pan along with sugar. Bring to a boil. Once boiling add cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. This will only take seconds. Add almond extract if using.
- Transfer to a cold plate to accelerate the cooling process. Once cherries are cold, proceed.
- Beat egg with a fork until completely blended. Set aside along with a pastry brush.
- Cut puff pastry sheet in 5-inch squares.
- Brush a thin layer of beaten egg on two joining sides of each square.
- Place cherries in center of each square.
- Fold each square into a triangle and gently seal edges. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush a thin, even layer of egg wash on the surface and cut a 1/4-inch “vent hole” in each square using a pair of scissors.
- Place in oven until deep golden brown, about 25-35 minutes. Puff pastry is only delicious and flaky when properly baked.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Place chocolate and oil in a microwave-proof bowl and in 7-8 second increments melt chocolate while stirring in between heating.
- Drizzle chocolate over cooled cherry turnovers.