Sour Cream Apple Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (2 medium-sized apples)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- For crumb topping, use a medium bowl and combine butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and flour. Using your hands or a pastry cutter combine ingredients until they resemble coarse sand and hold together when squeezed. Set aside.
- For cinnamon swirl, use a small bowl and combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- For cake, in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine butter and sugar, mixing on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in vanilla and eggs mixing until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add in sour cream, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, and continue mixing on medium speed for 30 seconds, until mixture is combined.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just incorporated.
- Stir in apples.
- Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle batter with half of cinnamon swirl mixture. Using a knife swirl mixture into batter.
- Repeat again with remaining batter and remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Sprinkle crumb topping onto cake.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan until ready to serve.
- Prepare glaze by whisking all ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake.