Sour Cream Scones
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Zest of 1 lemon (no white bitter pith)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl whisk egg, yolk, vanilla, sour cream, lemon zest and salt until well combined and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl. Grate butter (as you would cheese) on the large holes of a grater directly onto flour mixture.
- Pour sour cream mixture on top and with hands press quickly together. Do not mix until all butter pieces have blended in. Pieces of butter are desired as they will create light and delicious scones.
- Press dough into a 10-inch diameter round. Cut in 10 equal pieces. Sprinkle with additional granulated sugar and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place in oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with Quick and Reduced Sugar Blackberry Jam.
For a lighter version substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream.