Southern Orange Coconut Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 egg whites, beaten into stiff peaks
- Orange zest (optional toppings)
- Creme Chantilly (optional toppings)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add orange zest.
- Beat in flour mixture alternating with orange juice. Fold in coconut and beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve in squares with a dollop of Creme Chantilly and orange zest.