Southern Pineapple Pie
- 3 room temperature egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- In a double boiler, combine 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, salt, cornstarch, and milk.
- With water in bottom of double broiler, heat on medium high heat and whisk egg yolk mixture for 10-15 minutes until thick, with a custardy texture.
- Once very thick, remove custard from heat. Let cool for 2 minutes and stir in very well drained crushed pineapple and vanilla extract.
- Pour pineapple custard mixture into cooled pie shell.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With an eclectic mixer, whisk together egg whites for 45 seconds. Add in cream of tartar and sugar.
- Whisk on medium-high speed for 10 minutes or until meringue is smooth and has stiff peaks.
- Pile meringue on top of pineapple pie, spreading it to cover entire top.
- Place pie into preheated oven for 10 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Let pie cool on counter for 1 hour and then place into fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight to chill.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.