Southern Sweet Tea Lemonade Sheet Cake
Sweet Tea Cake
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 5 tea bags, Earl Grey or standard black tea
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup well-packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (no white bitter pith)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Lemonade Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- 1/4 Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and add tea bags. Steep for 3 to 4 minutes. Steeping longer will make tea bitter. Measure exactly 1 1/4 cups tea and place in an ice bath until room temperature. Set aside.
- Butter and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside. (Fitting a piece of parchment paper on bottom and sides of baking pan is recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk oil, salt, both sugars, vanilla, lemon zest, vinegar, and tea until well blended. Add dry ingredients and stir using a spatula until nearly smooth. Do not overmix.
- Scrape into prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.
- For lemonade cream topping, whip cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, and powdered sugar in a cold bowl until medium firm.
- Either spread on cake or serve each piece of cake with a good dollop of cream.
- Decorate with lemon slices and/or sprinkle with lemon zest.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.