Spice Pound Cake
Spice Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger
- 2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground anise (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 7/8 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is very light and fluffy. Add orange zest and salt.
- Sift flour, spices, baking powder, and baking soda together. On low speed, add 1/4 of flour mixture. Once combined add 1/3 of orange juice, when smooth add another 1/4 of flour. Repeat process with orange juice and flour until all is incorporated.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place oven. After baking for 45 minutes, drape a sheet of parchment paper or buttered aluminum foil gently on surface of pound cake to keep it from browning too much.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean - about 75-80 minutes for smaller loaf pan.
- Remove from oven and let spice pound cake sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Once cake has cooled prepare orange glaze by whisking together orange juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle on spice pound cake and decorate if desired.