Spicy Buttermilk Pralines
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one orange- no white bitter pith
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, buttermilk and baking soda. Using a heat resistant or wood spatula, constantly stir mixture until it reaches 210°F.
- Add butter, pecan halves, vanilla extract and salt and continue to heat and stir to 233°F. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and cayenne. Allow mixture to cool for 3 minutes. If at this point the caramel is still runny and is not coating the pecans well, stir it for just a few seconds up to a minute until it becomes thicker and coats the pecans better.
- Using a spoon drop batter quickly on wax paper, non stick foil or a silicone baking mat. Let harden.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: If the mixture firms or becomes crystallized before it is dropped, reheat mixture with a few drops of water. Let cool slightly and drop.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments