Sponge Kisses (aka Powder Puffs)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large egg whites without yolk traces
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Fit a pastry bag with a plain round tip about 1/2-inch diameter and set aside.
- Whip egg yolks, vanilla, and salt for 8 minutes or until a very thick mousse-like consistency. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl whip sugar and egg whites to a stiff and stable meringue. Stop whipping and immediately fold in whipped egg yolks. Fold mixture gently until nearly all the egg yolk has been thoroughly mixed in.
- Delicately fold in flour, once all flour is incorporated stop mixing as further mixing will deflate batter. Gently transfer mixture into pastry bag.
- Pipe into equal sized round domes, about one inch in diameter. Obtaining same size as shown in photo is not important. However, try to pipe domes of equal size, this way, they will all be finished baking at same time.
- Bake until light golden about 10-12 minutes. Smaller domes will be baked sooner than larger ones.
- Turn half of cookies upside down. Spread a layer of fruit spread on bottom. Pipe a dollop of Crème Chantilly onto fruit spread.
- Top with remaining cookie and sprinkle with confectioners powdered sugar.