St. Patrick's Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Dutched cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
Homemade Ice Cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 310°F.
- Butter and flour one 9-inch baking pan and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is highly recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk egg and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking batter smooth in between additions.
- Scrape batter into pan and place in oven, bake for 40-45 minutes until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on plastic food lined surface and place in freezer.
- Lightly oil (do not use butter) a 9-inch round cake pan. Press plastic food wrap smoothly into baking pan and place in freezer. Ensure that plastic generously hangs over sides.
- Using homemade ice cream directions: Bring to a full boil cream, milk, sugar and salt. Remove from heat and place saucepan in bowl filled with ice cubes. When most ice cubes have melted renew ice cubes and cover pan, sprinkle a cup of salt on ice cubes to get ice cream mixture super cold. (To ensure a smooth ice cream it is essential that the ice cream mixture is very cold when pouring it in the ice cream maker.) Add peppermint extract and green food color.
- Churn ice cream according to machine manufacturer’s directions. Once churned scoop quickly into chilled plastic lined cake pan and make surface smooth and even.
- Place cake layer on the surface and return to freezer. Skip step 13.
- Using purchased ice cream directions: Remove ice cream from freezer and let sit for 10 minutes to slightly soften. Press quickly and firmly into pre-chilled plastic lined cake pan and smooth the surface. Place cake layer on the surface and return to freezer.
- Leave in freezer overnight. Pull cake out of pan and turn upside down on a serving tray. Return to freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare chocolate ganache. If prepared in advance heat over double boiler to 110°F. Add one tablespoon of water to ganache and pour onto cake. Using a metal spatula spread evenly onto the surface. Return to freezer.
- Dye fondant green and roll 3 credit cards thick on a powdered sugared surface. Using a heart cutter cut 3 hearts or trace a heart shaped piece of card board.
- Place hearts onto cake to make a clover. Arrange stem and return to freezer until ready to serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: If using store-bought ice cream, use 2 pints or half gallon Peppermint ice cream.