Sticky Bun Cookies
Sticky Bun Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, soft
- 4 ounces (1/2 of an 8 oz package) cream cheese, soft
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast (any type)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 orange (no white bitter pith)
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- On low speed, mix soft butter and soft cream cheese until no lumps remain.
- Add sugar and blend until combined. Add egg, yeast, vanilla, salt, and orange zest. Mix until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients in one step and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in 2 parts and press onto plastic food wrap into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator overnight.
- For cinnamon sugar combine sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Dough is easiest to roll on lightly floured parchment paper as it sticks less than rolled on a counter and is easy to transfer back to refrigerator if dough gets too soft.
- Using a very small amount of flour roll first piece of chilled dough into an 8 X 14-inch rectangle. Return to freezer/refrigerator if dough gets too sticky.
- Sprinkle with half of cinnamon sugar. Starting on base of 8-inch width, roll dough upwards into a cylinder. Place in freezer. Repeat with remaining dough.
- When cylinders have chilled for about 30-45 minutes preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut log into 3/16-inch slices and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake until edges are light golden, about 12 minutes.
- For praline topping, in a small saucepan combine brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add pecan pieces and vanilla.
- Spoon praline topping on cookies.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments