Strawberry and Cardamom Crumb Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup regular or low-fat sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups quartered strawberries, fresh not frozen
- 1/2 cup well packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 cup strawberries
- Few tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour a 9X9-inch pan or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Add vanilla.
- Stir in half of sour cream and once incorporated add half of dry ingredients. Repeat steps and then fold in strawberries. Scrape into prepared pan.
- In a bowl combine brown sugar, cardamom, flour, and salt.
- Melt butter, but ensure it is not hot (it should be melted but thick). Add to above and mix into crumbles.
- Scatter crumbles over surface of cake and bake for about 43 minutes or until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Scatter additional strawberries on the surface and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.