- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash and dry strawberries. Remove stem and cut lengthwise in half. Cut crosswise in about 5 slices. Cut enough strawberries to create 1 1/2 cups of sliced strawberries.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Place a box grater onto flour mixture and grate butter on large eyes of grater. Toss gently to retain butter pieces. Add strawberries and toss without mixing much.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup mix sugar with buttermilk and lemon zest.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and mix just until rough dough forms; do not over mix!
- Gently press dough onto a lightly floured surface about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut with a round biscuit cutter and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle surface of biscuits with a thin coat of sugar.
- Place in oven and bake until light golden, about 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven.