- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces melted white candy melts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried strawberry crumbs (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour freeze-dried strawberries into a food processor and pulse until strawberries become fine crumbs. Alternatively, you can smash strawberries in a bag using a meat mallet, rolling pin, or skillet.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in strawberry crumbs, lemon zest, and salt, then set aside.
- Melt butter then set aside for 10-15 minutes until butter cools.
- Place whole eggs in their shells in a bowl of hot tap water for 15 minutes.
- Heat milk in microwave for 5 seconds then let sit until needed.
- When ready, crack eggs into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle in sugar. Beat, using an electric mixer set on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until eggs thicken and become pale yellow.
- Add corn syrup and vanilla then continue to beat just to combine.
- Fold in dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, strawberries, lemon zest, and salt).
- Stir in melted and cooled butter and room temperature milk.
- Refrigerate batter for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Set a cookie sheet on middle rack in oven and preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Lightly grease a Madeleine pan with butter or spray pan with non-stick baking spray then dust lightly with flour (or with finely crushed freeze-dried strawberries).
- Spoon Madeleine batter into a large pastry bag (keeping any reserved batter refrigerated).
- Pipe batter into prepared Madeleine pan filling cavities about 75% full.
- Wet your fingertips and use them to press batter into crevices in Madeleine pan.
- Chill filled pan in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place chilled pan of Madeleines in oven for 12-14 minutes until edges just begin to brown. Centers of Madeleines should spring back when gently pressed.
- Unmold while still hot by turning pan on its side and tapping it on counter to allow Madeleines to fall out.
- Allow Madeleines to cool completely.
- Optional decoration: Dip edge of a Madeleine in melted white candy melts then set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle freeze-dried strawberry crumbs over coated portion. Refrigerate for about 5 minutes just until candy coating hardens.
- Madeleines are best if served the day they are made, but can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.