Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped, DIVIDED
- 3 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare Pancakes: In a large measuring cup, measure milk and add vinegar. Stir slightly and set aside to allow mixture to "sour" for 10 minutes, creating buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center and add milk mixture, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir all ingredients together just until there are no visible flour pockets remaining. Fold in 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries; do not over mix batter. Allow batter to rest and thicken up.
- Turn griddle or large pan on medium low heat and add little bit of butter or non-stick cooking spray, if needed. Using a ladle, pour about 1/4 cup of batter on pan for each pancake. Once you see a few bubbles on top and underneath is lightly golden brown, flip and cook about 2 minutes on each side. Continue cooking process for remaining batter.
- Prepare Strawberry Syrup: Combine strawberries and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and allow strawberries to soften and smash them down slightly to release more juices. Lower heat to gently simmer until a syrup forms and thickens.
- Prepare Whipped Cream: Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until incorporated and smooth. Scrape down sides as needed with a rubber spatula.
- To assemble, place a pancake on a plate and top with whipped cream, spreading it to edges. Sprinkle with chopped strawberries and place another pancake on top. Continue this formation until pancake stack is as tall as you'd like. Ending with a dollop of whipped cream, spoon strawberry sauce over top and serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.