Strawberry Shortcake Scones
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced into small squares
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon water
- Optional Gold ’N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- Vanilla Cream Icing
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together. Add cubed butter and pulse until little crumbles form, about 45 seconds.
- Add 1 egg, vanilla, milk, and heavy cream. Pulse until dough forms into a ball.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto parchment paper and place dough in center. Work with hands to add strawberries to dough and form into round 8-inch round disc.
- Slice into 6 equal triangles. Place on prepared cookie sheet, leaving space for spreading.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg and water. Brush onto top of scones and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle on top of scones and serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.