Streusel Stuffed Baked Apple Dumpling
- 1/4 cup quick-cook oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- Optional: 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces or nuts of choice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, shredded or cubed
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1 store bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together first 7 ingredients through walnuts.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter and set aside.
- Core apples and using a sharp knife, cut around the opening to increase the size of the hole slightly to make more room for the streusel.
- Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet to make a 14x14 inch square. Cut into 7x7 inch squares by cutting directly down the middle of each side.
- Place one apple upside down in each square and fill with streusel packing tightly.
- In a small bowl, crack and beat egg slightly and brush about a 1 inch border along the edges of each square.
- Starting with one apple, begin by pulling each corner, going in a clockwise or counter-clockwise motion, to the top of the apple and covering the streusel and opening tucking the corners in as you go.
- To make decorations, cut leaves from extra puff pastry sheet and score down the middle with a knife. Brush and secure leaf with egg wash.
- Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Brush the entire pastry with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cook 10 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temp to 375°F and cook an additional 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm over a pool of caramel with ice cream if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Christy Landry @myinvisiblecrwn.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments