Summer Berries Pound Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon strawberry or raspberry flavor (optional)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups mixture of fresh (not frozen) berries such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To ensure easy removal of cake, line 2 standard size loaf pans with parchment paper and set aside. If you do not have 2 loaf pans bake remaining batter into cupcakes or a round baking pan.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix soft butter and sugar very well. Add 1 egg and beat until light. Add another egg and beat very well between additions for a light and airy batter. Continue with eggs, salt, and vanilla (add optional berry flavor if using) and whip until light and fluffy.
- Add about 1/3 of flour and once incorporated add 1/2 of buttermilk. Once buttermilk is incorporated add another 1/3 of flour. Followed by remaining buttermilk and finish with flour.
- Toss berries into a tablespoon of flour until evenly coated and gently stir into batter. (This will keep them from sinking to the bottom.)
- Equally divide batter into loaf pans. If using cupcakes or other pan, fill 3/4 full.
- Place in oven for approximately 65 minutes (about 20 minutes for cupcakes) or when center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit in pan for 30 minutes before removing.
- Slice and serve. Freeze second loaf if not serving soon.