Sweet Crunchie Munchie Mix
- 4 cups popcorn (freshly popped)
- 1 cup pecan halves, lightly toasted (or substitute your favorite combination of nuts)
- 1 cup blanched whole almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 cup sweet butter, cut up in to small pieces
- Grease a large mixing bowl. Add popcorn and nuts.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup and water to boil over moderate heat. Stir occasionally and use brush dipped in cold water to wash down sugar crystals that cling to sides of the pan.
- When sugar is completely dissolved, add butter. Bring mixture to boil again over moderate heat, swirling saucepan occasionally. Continue to boil, still swirling pan occasionally, until candy thermometer registers 280°F. Continue to boil, now stirring continuously until syrup reaches 300°F on candy thermometer.
- Immediately remove from heat and pour over popcorn and nut mixture. Stir mixture until well coated with syrup.
- Turn candy onto greased surface, allow to cool, then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This recipe originally appeared on page 5 of the 1984 Volume IV, No. 10 edition of Homemade Good News.