Sweet Pickle Relish
- 3 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups minced white onion
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Place cucumbers, bell pepper and onions in a large glass bowl; toss to combine. Add pickling salt, stir, and then cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to can, remove pickle mixture from fridge and drain well but do not rinse.
- In a large stainless steal pot, mix together cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, turmeric, mustard seed and minced garlic. Bring to a gentle boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add drained pickle mixture to pot. Bring back up to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Ladle relish into hot, sterilized jars taking care to cover relish with syrup. Leave 1/4-inch head space. Wipe rim of the jar with a damp, clean paper towel. Center lid and place band on, tightening just to finger-tip tight.
- Process relish in a water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars from pot and let cool and then store in a cool place.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.