Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1/4 mashed cooked sweet potato (1 medium) about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- *Using spoon fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. (Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub sweet potato, peel and prick with fork. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place on microwave-safe plate. Microwave on High for 5-7 minutes or until tender; let stand 1 minute. Carefully remove from microwave. Let cool.
- Beat mashed sweet potato, spices, shortening and brown sugar with an electric mixer until blended.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a large bowl. Add sweet potato mixture; beat on low speed with electric mixer until blended. Slowly add buttermilk to sweet potato mixture to form a ball.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly about 10 times.
- Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2-inch round biscuit cutter and place onto lightly greased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden brown. Serve warm.