Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 oz sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
- 1 jar (7oz) marshmallow fluff
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer beat mashed sweet potato and brown sugar together, until well blended. Add eggs, vanilla extract, canola oil and buttermilk. With mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture, until just combined. Turn mixer to medium and beat until well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Fill about 2/3rd of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Remove from oven, and cool for 5 minutes before removing cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare frosting beat together butter and marshmallow fluff until well combined. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Beat on high until light and fluffy. Adjust milk as necessary to get desired consistency.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool, top with frosting.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.