Sweet Skillet Cornbread
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, medium-coarse grind
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter by swirling until browned and nutty in aroma. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove butter into a bowl. Do not clean skillet. Whisk in syrup, buttermilk and cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with sugar until well combined. Add egg mixture to butter mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, then add all at once to wet ingredients.
- Pour batter back into warm skillet. Bake until top is golden brown, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs, about 35 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before slicing to serve.
NOTE: To make smaller servings, simply divide into smaller skillets and adjust baking time accordingly.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments