Tangy Cran-Orange Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) softened butter, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup prepared orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup jarred or canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream 1/4 cup butter with white sugar on high until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of marmalade, egg, vanilla, milk and orange juice and mix on medium high for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to mixer on low speed, until batter is smooth, about a minute.
- In an 8x8 glass baking pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in oven until melted thoroughly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with light brown sugar.
- Spoon cranberry sauce and then remaining 1/4 cup orange marmalade over brown sugar. Pour cake batter over top and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of middle clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto a serving plate. Can be served with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.