Toasted Hazelnut Crust Pumpkin Tart
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
Pumpkin Custard Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whipping or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chopped hazelnuts
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place hazelnuts in oven and toast for 12-14 minutes. Hazelnuts should be fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove and set aside. Set oven to 375°F.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. In a separate bowl, beat egg until well blended. Add 2 tablespoons of beaten egg to butter mixture. (Keep remaining egg in fridge.) Add salt and vanilla and mix well. Set aside.
- Place hazelnuts and flour in a food processor and mix until hazelnuts feel finer than cornmeal.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in one step. On low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside an 9-inch tart pan
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into tart pan and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick bottom of tart shell.
- Place in oven, and after about 5-7 minutes check the crust. Re-prick bottom if it is puffed up. If sides of tart dough have slid down, press it back into place to meet rim of tart shell. Bake until golden and sides are shrinking slightly away from pan.
- Remove from oven and brush interior of tart shell with remaining beaten egg. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until egg has solidified. Remove from oven and turn oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all pumpkin filling ingredients, whisk eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk smooth.
- Add cream and milk followed by pumpkin, spices, and salt.
- Pour filling into pre-baked tart shell and place in oven.
- Remove from oven when center of tart filling no longer trembles, about 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool completely before proceeding.
- Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla to firm peaks. Pipe cream onto tart and scatter surface with a few hazelnuts.