- 1/2 cup (60g) hazelnuts or almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 cups (480g) whipping or heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoons (30g) orange liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (7oz) Amaretti cookies
- Maraschino cherries, as needed
- Prepare nuts and fruit and set aside.
- In a cold bowl whip cream to soft peaks, do not whip as firm as you would for decorating pies or cakes. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Eggs and sugar will be whipped together and nearly quadruple in size, so select an appropriately sized bowl.
- Fill a saucepan with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Turn to a low simmer. Mix eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk vigorously. Place egg mixture over water. Constantly whisk until mixture reaches 170°F. Remove from heat and add orange zest.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, whip egg-sugar mixture until it reaches room temperature and makes thick ribbons. Stop mixing.
- Add orange liqueur, almond extract, nuts, and cherries. Add whipped cream and delicately fold together.
- Depending on size of glasses, start with placing one Amaretti cookie on the bottom of 8 glasses.
- Fill glasses halfway with tortoni filling. Place another cookie in the glass. Top with remaining tortoni filling. Fill more glasses if there is more filling.
- Place in freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight/days/weeks.
- Just before serving, crush some Amaretti and place on the surface of tortoni filling. Decorate each glass with an amaretti cookie and a maraschino cherry.