Triple Berry Grunt
- 4 cups (16 oz container) blueberries
- 1 1/4 cups (one 6 oz container) raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups (one 6 oz container) blackberries
- 1/2 cup cranberries (optional, cranberries thicken the berries quicker)
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Rinse all berries, but do not dry, they should be wet. Place in a saucepan or skillet with a diameter of about 9-11 inches. Add sugar and lemon zest and toss.
- Place over very low heat and stir occasionally; berries will slowly release juices as they are heated.
- Meanwhile combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Stir ingredients well together using a whisk. Mix buttermilk with vanilla and set both aside.
- Once berries come to a boil turn to a low simmer. Pour buttermilk into flour mixture. Stir ingredients barely together using fingers. It should look lumpy.
- Using a spoon drop soft batter on surface of bubbling berries. Combine sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle onto dough pieces.
- Close with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, break apart a dough piece to ensure that dough was cooked through.
- Serve warm, if desired with vanilla ice cream or gelato.