Tropical Sweet Potato Casserole with Cinnamon Streusel Crunch
- 8-10 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 cups half and half
- 3/4 cup crushed unsweetened pineapple
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in tin foil and bake in 350°F oven for about 1 - 1 and 1/2 hours or until soft.
- When cool, peel off skins and mash well. Add cinnamon.
- Cream butter and sugar and add to potatoes. Mix well. Mix in half and half using hand blender for smooth, creamy consistency. Add more half and half if mixture appears a bit dry.
- Lastly, blend in drained pineapple by hand.
- Place mixture in 12 x 10 inch oven safe baking dish that has been rubbed down with olive oil.
- Top with cinnamon coconut streusel mixture and bake until golden brown about 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the depth of baking pan.
- Mix dry ingredients oatmeal, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, chopped nuts and coconut.
- Cream butter and sugar and then add to dry mixture. Using a fork mix well and crumble on top of sweet potatoes.
I was a bit skeptical with the addition of pineapple but along with the coconut it really tasted great. The top was nice and crunchy. Will definitely be adding this to our Thanksgiving!