Turtle Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 Turtle candies, unwrapped
- 16 caramels, unwrapped
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar, until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add in flour mixture on low speed. Stir until dough forms.
- Using a medium size cookie scoop, drop cooke dough on prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies begin to crack on top. Remove from oven and press a Turtle into the center of each cookie.
- Then in a microwave safe bowl, microwave caramels for 30 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving in 15 second intervals until completely melted. (Total time will depend on your brand of caramels.)
- Once melted, drizzle tops of each cookie with caramel. Let cool for a 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.