Twix Icebox Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup + 2 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- Crème Chantilly
- 2 Twix® candy bars, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On the bottom of two 8 x 8-inch square baking pans place a piece of parchment. If you have only one pan, you can bake the shortbread layers separately.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or in a bowl, whip egg yolks with a small amount of sugar until well combined. Add remaining sugar and whip until nearly white in color.
- Place butter for just a few seconds in the microwave oven to make it super soft but not runny or melted. Add to above along with salt and mix until very well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix briefly until combined.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces. Place on bottom of prepared pan and press evenly flat. You can place a piece of plastic food wrap onto dough if it sticks too much on your hands.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 13-14 minutes. Once cold, runs a knife around edges and flip upside down onto plastic food film or parchment paper. Set aside.
- For the caramel, in a saucepan combine brown sugar, whipping cream, butter, salt and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil. Boil or a solid 4 minutes and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Prepare Crème Chantilly.
- Place one shortbread cookie crust on the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch square pan. Spread 1/2 of caramel on the surface. Make sure caramel is cold before proceeding. Spread 1/2 of crème Chantilly onto caramel.
- Cover with remaining crust and follow with caramel and Crème Chantilly. Place in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, cover with chocolate sauce. If the sauce appears too thick, place it briefly in the microwave oven but do not get it hot or it will melt the Crème Chantilly. You can also thin it out with a few drops of water or milk.
- Decorate with Twix® pieces if desired.