Upside Down Chocolate Pudding
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups hot water
- Optional Crème Chantilly
- Optional Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8x8-inch pan with nonstick spray or coat with butter. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, and 3 tablespoons cocoa and whisk until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, add vanilla to milk and stir. Combine milk mixture, vegetable oil, and nuts to dry ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan. Mix brown sugar with 1/4 cup cocoa and sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over entire surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Spoon out while warm and drizzle extra sauce over the top. Top with Creme Chantilly or homemade vanilla ice cream.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This recipe was originally published in Imperial Sugar’s 150th Anniversary Cookbook.