Upside Down Lemon Cake
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup well packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large lemons
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt first listed butter and evenly pour onto bottom of a 9 or 10-inch nonstick baking pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar onto melted butter.
- Slice 2 lemons into super thin slices. (Thick slices will not become tender in the oven.)
- Place lemon slices onto brown sugar layer. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a bowl beat soft butter and sugar until well combined. Add egg and salt and whip until light and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes. Zest the remaining lemon and add zest to above.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture and once combined add 1/2 of buttermilk. Add another 1/3 of flour followed by remaining buttermilk. Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Scrape batter onto lemon slices and place in oven.
- Bake for 43-45 minutes and remove from oven when center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn pan upside down onto a serving tray while still warm. Cover with plastic food film and let cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.