Upside Down Pineapple Cake
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 pouches (1/2 cup) Redi-Measure Light Brown Sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pint blackberries for decoration
- Optional: Whipped crème / Crème Chantilly
- 1/2 cup heavy cream-very cold
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt first listed butter and pour evenly on bottom of a 9 or 10-inch non-stick baking pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar onto the melted butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices onto brown sugar layer and set aside.
- In a bowl sift together flour and baking powder. Add salt, butter, sugar, milk and egg and beat until smooth and no lumps remain. Scrape bowl and mix briefly, about 30 more seconds.
- Spread batter evenly over pineapple. Place in preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until center bounces back when gently pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit 1 minute. Place a serving dish on top of baking pan and quickly turn upside down. Remove pan and serve warm or cool as is or with crème Chantilly and berries. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
- For Crème Chantilly, in a cold bowl whip the cream, sugar and vanilla to a medium firm peak.