Upside Down Pineapple Cake
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pint fresh blackberries (or berry of choice)
- Crème Chantilly
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt first listed butter and pour evenly on bottom of a 9 or 10-inch non-stick baking pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar onto melted butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices onto brown sugar layer and set aside.
- In a bowl sift together flour and baking powder. Add salt, butter, sugar, milk, and egg and beat until smooth and no lumps remain. Scrape bowl and mix briefly, about 30 more seconds.
- Spread batter evenly over pineapple. Place in preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit 1 minute. Place a serving dish on top of baking pan and quickly turn upside down. Remove pan and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
- Top with berries and creme chantilly, if desired.